Adware is a software program created to serve advertisements. Usually, you get Adware on your computer by downloading some sort of free software, or freeware.
Freeware is supported by the ads served by Adware.
Some examples of Freeware:
- Software and Programs
- Pear-To-Pier files sharing programs
- Screen savers, backgrounds, and themes
- Tools, widgets and applications
- And More!
Some Adware maybe be annoying, but it is benign; however, recently, it has been more malicious in its nature.
Malicious Adware is downloaded without the user’s consent by exploiting security vulnerabilities on a computer and a browser.
What can Adware do?
- It may monitor user’s activities, compile a profile and sell it to interested parties.
- Adware may have a Spyware component built in, which monitors not just online activities, but it may also record every key stroke that the user makes and send it back to the malware creator.
- Adware may serve malicious advertisement, aka malwertisement.
- It may change the user’s home page and/or re-direct the browser to a different website with affiliate advertisements.
- Adware may make the user’s computer more vulnerable to other malware.
- Adware runs in the background making the user’s operating system sluggish.
What are the signs of Adware?
- Annoying Pop-Up ads on the desktop and while browsing the web.
- Unusual changes to the browser, such as a new toolbar.
- Default home page changes to something else.
- Web browser re-directes to different pages when visiting websites.
- Slow Internet connection.
- System freezes for no apparent reason.
- And More!
Here are just a few quick tips to keep Adware from your computer:
- Get an Anti-Adware software program and always keep it up to date.
- Avoid downloading freeware.
- Keep your Operating System up to date.
- Be careful what your download and what links you click on.
Further Reading and Resources:
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 has everything you need for a safe and secure Internet experience.
- Spyware and Adware (Advances in Information Security)
- Adware and Spyware Protection: The Ultimate Protection Guide Against Adware and Spyware
- All About Spyware: Adware and Tracking, Routes of Infection, Effects, Identity Theft and Fraud, Examples of Spyware, Remedies and Prevention, Rogue Anti-Spyware Programs, and More
- Cisco ASA 5510 SSL / IPsec VPN Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA5510-SSL100-K9) -
When was the last time you checked your computer for Adware? Leave a comment.